This fortnight the Makeup Utopia Challenge is less character-based and more trend-based. One of the hottest trends at the moment is barely-there makeup with a bright pop of neon colour. Larah captured the essence of this trend in her 5 finger, 5 nail trends article (the colourful french manicure).
Your challenge this week, should you choose to accept it, is to interpret this trend on your face. Here’s my interpretation:
I kept my overall makeup look very clean and simple, and channeled Pantone’s colour of the year “Tangerine Tango” for my vibrant pop of colour.
I kept my skin quite fresh with a light coverage foundation, because I wanted my skin, freckles and all, to show through.
I wanted my cheeks to be very subtle, but I needed a little colour, or else I would have looked washed out. I stuck with a super sheer, peachy toned gel blush.
I tinted my eyes with a blend of 3 sheer cream eyeshadows – one brown, one gold and one that is more of a sheer illuminator.
I groomed my eyebrows with a spooly brush and a little brow gel, but didn’t fill them in at all.
I was very pleased with the finished look, and (unlike many of my creations) this is supremely wearable for both day or night. It’s a simple and effective way to bring the runway to reality.
- Estee Lauder Illuminating Perfecting Primer (on counter April 22nd)*
- MAC Face & Body Foundation in N1
- Collection 2000 Lasting Perfection Concealer in 1 Fair
- Becca Beach Tint in Grapefruit
- Urban Decay Primer Potion in Original
- Melli Cosmetics Mineral Illuminator
- Tom Ford Cream Colour for Eyes in Guilt*
- Tom Ford Cream Colour for Eyes in Spice*
- Smashbox Cream Eyeliner in Sepia (to tightline)*
- Inglot Soft Precision Eyeliner in #44 (to waterline)
- Maybelline Volum’ Express One by One Mascara in Brownish Black*
- Urban Decay Pressed Eyeshadow in Secret Service
- Clear Mascara (as brow gel)
- OCC Lip Tar in Safety Orange
Do you like to put your own spin on runway trends? Do you like to stay abreast of the latest looks off the runway? Makeup Utopia will be reporting from Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Australia (April 30th to May 4th) and live tweeting all the hottest looks. Make sure you follow us @TheMakeupUtopia for all the MBFWA goss.