I love Christmas, always have and always will. I take great pleasure in the entire Christmas season, from watching every Christmas movie I can think of (Elf and Home Alone are my favourites for the kids, and Scrooged and Die Hard are my favourites for after the kids have gone to bed), to making fruit cake and plum pudding, to wearing Christmas themed clothing (I’m so excited that I can officially do the ugly Christmas sweater thing now that I live in the northern hemisphere), to of course, wearing Christmassy makeup.
Although this particular look is not what I will be wearing on Christmas day this year, I’ve been wearing it a lot while I run around doing last-minute Christmas shopping and generally getting in the spirit of the season. It’s a pretty, easy but still festive look that works whether you’re snuggling up to keep warm in the winter weather, or heading to the park or beach for a Christmas BBQ in the warmer weather.
- I started with a clean, moisturised face. I did not apply primer, because I have very dry skin and it’s freezing cold here. If you’re oily or heading into warm weather, you might find a primer useful.
- I mixed a medium coverage foundation with a liquid illuminator in equal parts to create an ultra-dewy base. If your skin is on the oily side, you might want to skip the illuminator. I used a dense buffing brush to work this into my skin.
- I applied a liquid concealer under my eyes, and over any blemishes, the used the same buffing brush with dabbing motions to blend it in.
- Using the same brush again, I applied metallic white-gold cream highlighter to my cheekbones, the bridge of my nose and my top lip line. Again with the same brush, I added a pop of neutral peach/pink cream blush to the apples of my cheeks.
- I used tinted brow mascara to make my brows somewhat visible and hold them in place.
- I took a fluffy eyeshadow brush and blended a gold cream eyeshadow in a sheer wash of colour over my eyelids.
- I packed on a few coats of mascara.
- Using a metallic gold eye pencil, I added a highlight just around my tear ducts.
- I carefully lined my lips and filled them in with a berry red lip pencil.
- I finished the look by topping my lips with a blood red liquid lipstick.
What makeup look will you be wearing on Christmas day?